I almost cannot believe what I heard when someone told me university don Donald Low has praised pro-paedophile activist Amos Yee for being this wonderful independent-minded, computer-skilled kid that all our Singapore kids should look up to. What he is basically saying is– ignore everything else, the kid is creative, capable of self directing, comfortable with digital technologies etc.
One cannot get more muddle-headed than this kind of warped, confused argument. I understand Donald Low has an axe to grind with the Government given his recent run-ins with some powers-that-be, mainly through fault of his own. I understand he is trying to show up our youth’s lack of passion and individualism. I understand the Malaysian-born intellectual is trying to tell Singaporeans your country and your youth is not that great. To think that he is taking money from Government and taxpayers, but uses the privilege to constantly whack Singaporeans and our government!
But I am sure, Prof, you pick a very poor example. In fact, you have shown that you have allowed your personal disdain for the PAP or whoever you are trying to get at, to cloud your moral compass. You are no longer able to distinguish the simple right from wrong. Someone once said the more books you read, the more stupid you become. This is a classic example. At the most basic level, you are suffering from over-analysing and missing the forest for the trees. To add to injury, you call those who disagree with you on this narrow-minded.
Have you actually listened to yourself? Let me put it clearly for you. What you are saying is this –
· You must have the ability to compartmentalise, you simpleton Singaporeans. Forget how Adolf Hitler led millions to deaths in World War 2. Forget he murdered six million Jews by gassing them. Our youth should look up to Hitler because he was a great leader, he was able to move millions to follow him. He has his magical charm as a great orator. Singaporean kids, please look up to Hitler, never mind those flaws.
· Kids, please look up to Harvey Weinstein. He was a great movie producer. He was behind many great movies and film stars. He is creative and independent-minded and has an eye for great movie projects. Forget the fact that he has raped, molested, abused hundreds of women. That’s OK, you silly Singaporeans. Please know how to differentiate different skills.
· Convicted Bedok rapist should be complimented for his resilience in spotting woman victims, his determination to continue to look for victims until he gets caught. We should look up to him for his uninhibited passion and bravery to get what he wants. Forget the sex crimes he committed.
· Las Vegas mass shooter has great ability to setting up a shooting range all by himself. He was a great weapon buyer, how did he amass so many. He displays great shooting skills, finishing off 58 deaths in minutes. He is fearless, determined and it took the police a while before they got him. And he was honourable in killing himself and not allowing the police to get him. What a hero which our kids should emulate. Forget about the dead victims and their families.
· City Harvest pastor was a great orator who could persuade tens of thousands to part money for his illegal activities. He was a great pastor who has touched the hearts of many. He was enterprising in moving into Hollywood to bring evangelism there. Forget about all his deception, kids.
· The couple who abused their flat mate and got her killed should be complimented for being able to do it for so long without being caught. They should be complimented for doing such acts to a friend and fellow human being without her resisting and reporting on them. What great power they are able to impose on others. Kids, please build your imposing skills on others.
· Finally, Amos is an army deserter. Most Singaporean kids serve army but this gutless fellow ran away. He is a fugitive. He insults Christians, Muslims and use vulgarities on them. He insults LKY and thinks a cartoon of LKY having sex with Thatcher is ok. He is now in US promoting paedophilia, that it is ok for sex predators to prey on young kids and paedophilia should be legal. Singaporean kids, please ignore all that. This kid has an independent mind, great computer skills and dares to run away, stands up to Government for his all these offences. Kids, please look up to him.
Ok, I may exaggerate. But Donald, I am afraid you have lost it. You have issues with the Government, fine. Go attack them on policy issues. It could be your recent episode. It could be your close friend Leon having to apologise in Parliament. But whatever it is, don’t hate, don’t get personal. Once you allow your personal agenda and issues to affect your judgment, you start saying and doing stupid things. In the end, you only harm yourself.